Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Green week 4

I can't believe April is over.  What a busy month it was.  I figured since I've been busy talking about educating ourselfs about toxic chemicals in our cleaners at Earth Day Events I'd use that as some of my green tips.

Green Tips:
** Educate yourself and your kids.  Learning about the ways to go green is one of the most important things you can do, and as I saw over the last 2 weekends there are many interactive activities at Earth Day Events for kids to learn.  When I was in school they also had activities for use, find out if there's something going on in your area where you can take your kids out to.
**One great way to go green and include your kids is to have your own garden, you and your family will enjoy watching the plants grow and eating the fruits of your labor :)  I look forward to planting our own garden this year although we're still deciding on where we're going to place the garden.
 **  Hang up your laundry to dry instead of using the dryer and reduce the amount of electricity you use.  Also with laundry wait until you have a full load instead of doing mini loads.  You can also use a green laundry detergent, softer, and dryer sheets.  These dryer sheets go right in your paper recycling when you're done.  And this stain remover and laundry booster can double as a toilet bowl cleaner and is safe enough that it won't hurt your pets if they accidentally drink it.

Green website/paper: www.worldwatch.org 
This site talks about why going green is important and ways to do so and also gives you resources to buy about sustainable living.

Wangari Maathai won a Nobel Peace Prize in 2004 for her work in planting trees in her home country of Kenya, Africa.  She founded the Green Belt Movement which has planted over 30million trees in Africa!
I learned of her because she is very well respected in the Shaklee community this year I learned about the I am the Humming Bird  campaign where this year Shaklee has a goal of planting 1 billion trees world wide in honor of the late Wangari Maathai.

No comments:

Post a Comment